This is direct from Ina Garten, as seen in House Beautiful (or the Food Network site). I served it w/mac-n-cheese and Orange Roughy, baked at 375-degrees for 10 or 15 minutes, which I then drizzled w/melted-salted butter and served.
- 8 ounces thick-cut bacon, such as Niman Ranch
- 8 ounces baby arugula (or baby spinach, which is more affordable)
- 1 large Granny Smith apple, peeled and diced
- 1/2 cup toasted walnut halves, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 6 ounces blue cheese, such as Roquefort, crumbled
For the dressing:
- 3 tablespoons good apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed orange juice (1/2 an orange will work)
- 2 1/2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- Kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2/3 cup good olive oil
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
Place a baking rack on a sheet pan and lay the bacon slices on the rack. Roast the bacon for about 20 minutes, until nicely browned. Allow to cool.
In a large bowl, toss together the arugula, apple, walnuts, cranberries, and blue cheese.
For the dressing, whisk together the vinegar, orange zest, orange juice, mustard, maple syrup, 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, and the pepper in a bowl. Slowly whisk in the olive oil.
Chop the bacon in large pieces and add it to the salad. Toss the salad with just enough dressing to moisten. Sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon salt and toss well. Serve immediately.